Earlier this week, I took Josh to the local sewing shop and pulled out some fabrics to make up a bundle of patterns I’d ordered online. I was going to combine new fabrics with stash fabrics and whip my way through a little capsule wardrobe.
I got a bit carried away (as one does) and bought quite a lot of fabric – just shy of £100 worth, actually. Josh was horrified: “I thought you said sewing your own stuff was cheaper??” So on the way home, I took him into a fairly standard boutique. I explained that I was going to make one cotton dress, one jersey dress, one wool skirt and one jacket. I made him walk around the shop, and price those things up – his choice of garment, so he had control of the bill. It came to just over £300.
Today, I made the jacket. This is the Sewaholics Cordova jacket pattern, which I got from the Village Haberdashery. I didn’t intend to make it today; I was just going to cut it out – it’s fully lined so with main fabric, lining and interfacing I figured cutting it would be enough faff for one mildly hungover Friday.
But then I looked at the pattern, and realised there were only 16 steps. Nothing, really! So I got started. Again, this is an unaltered pattern. I measured 8 for boobs and hips and 10 for waist. I decided to take the risk and go with the 8. The back of this jacket is in four pieces, and each half of the front is in two, and then there’s a peplum.
The fabric I’d got is a heavyweight linen stripe. I wasn’t really paying attention when I bought it – the stripe runs horizontally across the fabric. Not what I wanted, at all. So I thought I’d just have a little see if I could cut it vertically across the grain, rather than along it. I was confident I could get the grain right, by being careful about running down the stripe, and matching stripes would be much easier with vertical stripes – not to mention that horizontal stripes are notoriously unflattering (see t shirt for confirmation – I was meant to be flashing you the jazzy lining, rather than my boob, in this photo but whatevs).
Anyway, by the time I’d put the jacket back and fronts together and stuck the peplum on, there was little point stopping for the day, so I soldiered on. I’ve always found it difficult to fit linings without buggering up the overall fit of the garment, but this one went in easily enough. And I managed the stripe matching pretty well, I thought.
So, in all, another pleasing make. The arms are possibly a shade long, because I’m only short, but it’s a reasonably well fitted jacket which, with no requirement for effort at all from me, looks well tailored. This is another one I will make again. This particular version may well get worn to my thing.