I’m turning into a bit of a Colette groupie. This latest make is the Moneta – a pattern designed for jersey. I had a large piece of purple jersey that I’d bought in Sew Me Something the last time I was there, and I thought it would do this dress just nicely.
I traced this off on Sunday evening, before I went out to a party (in my Zinnia skirt). It’s a very straightforward pattern – two bodice pieces, two skirt pieces and a sleeve. And a pocket if you wanted one, but it’s quite a lightweight jersey I was using, so I didn’t.
Making it was incredibly easy, and gave me an excuse to dust off my overlocker – a piece of kit I use so rarely that 10 years down the line, I still need to refer to the threading diagrams!
The only thing I’ve never got the hang of is using elastic to shir (?) a waist seam. All my elastic seems to lose its give once it’s been stretched into place. I had a couple of goes before I lost my rag and simply shirred the skirt waist using shirring elastic in the bobbin of my standard machine.
|Not looking like a loon|
This pattern is designed with negative ease, and narrower than normal seam allowances (to compensate for the give in the jersey), so I made a small bodice and a medium skirt, to allow for my childbearing hips issue. I made no adjustments to the bodice – lesson learnt from the Hawthorn dress, then!
|Cover hem detail|
I couldn’t be more delighted with this dress. It fits like an absolute glove. I struggled a bit with the cover hem on my overlocker – but that’s a lack of practice issue, rather than any problem with the pattern or the fabric. I suspect this will get worn *to death*, and will certainly be made again… and again… Oh. I made version 3 🙂
Photos this time are taken by Josh, whose one instruction was “don’t make me look like a loon”. Good, then! As ever, you can click to embiggen for full lunatic effect.
|Still not looking like a loon|